There are several basic types of herbicides, each targeting certain plant
pests (weeds, grasses.) Pre-emergent herbicides are used to stop the
germination of plant seeds. Post emergent herbicides can be selective or
non-selective. Products such as Roundup can be considered total
vegetation, non selective and post emergent.
A non-selective herbicide tries to kill most plants while a selective herbicide
is designed to kill specific types of plants, usually grasses or broad leaf
weeds. Total vegetation products (listed on this page) are considered soil
sterilizers, killing all plant nutrients in the soil and preventing any
vegetation from surviving. When spraying herbicides on plants, a
surfactant can be used to increase the efficiency of herbicides.
Examples of different herbicide types are listed below.
- Surflan A.S: 1.5 ounces per 1,000 square feet to prohibit weed seed
germination in turf and ornamental beds. Best used as spring
application for crabgrass control.
- Atrazine 4L: 3 tablespoons per gallon, for use as a pre-emergent
treatment but used mostly for its post emergence ability on winter broadleaf
Post Emergent Herbicides
- Trimec Lawn Weed Killer: 5 ounces per
gallon of water treats 1,200 square feet. For control of broadleaf
weeds in warm season turfgrass.
- Manor Herbicide: Must read label for mix rate. For control of Bahiagrass
in warm season turfgrass.
- Corsair Herbicide: Must read label for mix rate. For control of
fescue in warm season turfgrass.
Herbicide (use instead of Manage Herbicide): .9 grams per 2 gallons of
water. Controls nutsedge in turfgrass.
- Momentum: 1 ounce per 1,000 square feet. For use in Bermuda and Zoysia
turf to control a wide variety of broadleaf weeds. Great on Buttonweed
- Vantage Herbicide: 3/4 ounce per 1,000 square
feet. Controls annual and perennial grasses in Centipede turf.
Over the top of ornamentals and ground cover.
- Image Herbicide: 2.5 ounces per gallon.
Controls broadleaf, sedges and grassy weeds in turf and ornamentals.
- Fusilade Herbicide: 3/4 ounce per gallon. Controls grassy
weeds. For use in Zoysia turf, ornamentals and some ground cover.
- Roundup Pro Dry: Each 1.5 ounce pack
mixes to 1 gallon of water. Systemic, non-selective herbicide that translocates
through the plant to kill at the roots.
- Reward Herbicide: 3/4 ounce per gallon of water. Control similar
to Roundup but not quite as good systemically. Great to add with
Roundup for burn down. Also carries an aquatic label for use in and
around water for control of plant material. Roundup
Pro Dry is no longer in production and has been replaced with the improved
Roundup product QuikPro
Dry, with Roundup: Each 1.5 ounce pack contains Glyphosate and
Diquat, a quick kill combination. Both ingredients are non-selective
but only Glyphosate is systemic. Neither of the active ingredients
have a long persistent residual in the soil, allowing for planting soon
- Scythe Herbicide: 4 ounces per 1,000 square
feet. Used for fast burn down of plant material. Great if used
with Roundup for best control.
- Brush Killer BK-32: 16 ounces per five
gallons of water. For control of woody plants and perennial weeds in
- When roots clog sewer or septic lines, a specialty non selective
herbicide is needed. There are two products available for this type of
problem: granular and foam formulation. K-77
is a granular root killer; Root
Killer Foam is a material that expands into a foam, once it comes into
contact with water. Both of these products are safe to use in septic
- Pramitol: Read label for mixing
instructions Use only in areas where complete control of vegetation is
required. This product can leach through the soil to other areas.
- Sahara DG: Read label for mix rates. Total
vegetation control. Designed not to leach as badly as Pramitol or
other products. Great for fence rows.
- Spreader Sticker: 1/2 ounce per
gallon. Used to increase liquid pesticide/ herbicide efficiency.
This product will make your application more rain fast and give you better
coverage of your application. Best results with herbicide
treatments. Can also be used as a wetting agent.
Dry Roundup Quikpro
Article Index Selective Herbicides